It is not optional!
Posted by David Garcia
“May the king’s rule be refreshing like spring rain on freshly cut grass, like the showers that water the earth. May all the godly flourish during his reign. May there be abundant prosperity until the moon is no more.”
Psalms 72:6-7 NLT
There’s nothing wrong with having certain political affiliation, regardless its trend; and it applies even to Christians. If our political belief doesn’t contradict or makes us deny the principles of the kingdom of God, we can be free to support and work for any social movement.
However, regardless of our political membership, Christians have an obligation (it is not an option), even if we agree or disagree with their ideology: to pray for our authorities (I Timothy 2:2)
But our prayer should be purposeful and intelligent, modeled on Psalm 72 we should pray that our leaders:
- Love justice as God loves.
- They are right.
- Judge correctly and fairly.
- Have a productive and prosperous government, benefiting the entire people.
- Defend the poor, the oppressed and the needy.
- That eliminates the oppressors.
- Have fear of God.
- Have a friendly government, as a cool morning.
- Be a government where the righteous flourish and prosper.
- Let there be peace.
- Be a compassionate leader with the weak and needy.
- Release the weak from oppression and violence.
- During his/her term of office has plenty of food.
- That he has people who grow healthily.
- Be a ruler praised, remembered by all.
- Be an instrument of blessing to other countries.
It is something that can only be done with the help of God; no human being, however good intentions he/her has, can do so on their own initiative.
It is for this reason that as disciples of Jesus, we need to support those who govern us with prayer and bless them (speak no evil of them) every day that they are in authority.
© CAYADO Consultancy – November 2013