Doing whatever we want
““We will not listen to your messages from the Lord! We will do whatever we want. We will burn incense and pour out liquid offerings to the Queen of Heaven just as much as we like—just as we, and our ancestors, and our kings and officials have always done in the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem. For in those days we had plenty to eat, and we were well off and had no troubles!”
Jeremiah 44:16-17 NLT
“We were better when we were doing whatever we wanted, when we decided to obey God” today, many repeated these same words that were spoken to the prophet Jeremiah.
Those who say this show certain characteristics:
- Don’t disobey for ignorance. Although they know God speaks to their lives, they take the decision not to obey Him.
- They excuse themselves in others’ behavior. They decide to keep doing what they want, and give the excuse that others decided to do the same.
- Decide supplant God for any “idol”. Possessions, people, status, prestige, etc., it can become a false god.
- They attribute their past welfare and safety to their idolatrous life.
- They attribute their bad streak in life to obey God’s will.
Not self-deception us, for many reasons that we can give, we cannot hide our sin before God. He knows it and even He seems silent, His patience also has limits and if we don’t repent, He can become jaded of our sin.
© CAYADO Consultancy – November 2013