Are you sad?, Do not deny
“He took Peter, James, and John with him, and he became deeply troubled and distressed. He told them, “My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.” He went on a little farther and fell to the ground. He prayed that, if it were possible, the awful hour awaiting him might pass him by.”
(Mark 14:33-35 NTL)
Being blessed by God, or have faith in Heavenly Father does not mean to deny that in our lives have been, are or will be, times when we have felt very sad, anxious or even depressed.
Jesus himself went through a great agony, from Gethsemane to Golgotha; but the way in which HE faced these situations is an example for our lives:
- Through prayer, Jesus went to the Father for comfort and strength.
- HE did not deny HIS situation; before God recognized HIS suffering, HIS anguish.
- HE recognized the power of God, and that HE can do anything; the circumstances are not bigger than HIS power.
- Although HE did not deny HIS suffering, not descended into self-pity, or misery.
- HE asked the Father to do HIS will, no matter that this was different to what HE wanted by this moment.
As followers of Jesus, Are we willing to follow his example when we face the saddest moments of our lives?
© CAYADO Consulting – July 2013